Friday, June 3, 2011

BATH

Today we arrived in Bath for a few days! We were able to go to the Roman Baths, the fashion museum, the assembly rooms and the Royal Crescent. Bath is the place that I think I was the most excited to see coming to England because my favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen. Part of the book takes place in Bath, needless to say I was excited to get here and see it all in person and pretend that I was Ann Elliot running down the street.
First we started at the Roman Baths. These natural hot springs were believed to have healing powers. They were first discovered by the Romans. Then in the late 1700 early 1800's they were rediscovered and restored, though not quite to their former glory. People would come from all over to "take to the waters" so they could be healed from their illness.
This is the entrance. I love how ornate everything is, even for a bath house.
This is the main bath. It's basically like Lava Hot Springs but in a way cooler location.
The view from this bath. This is Bath Abbey

One of the baths was dedicated to to sending wishes to the Goddess who was in charge of the baths...(I can't remember her name.)
Terri with a view of the main bath behind her.
Next we went to the fashion museum! They had some pretty cool things on display.

This was a dress that Queen Victoria wore after her husband passed away. After his death she only wore black!
This is what I would have worn if I lived in the 1800's. It was the height of fashion during Jane Austen's day.
Here is something a little more modern and perhaps just a tad bit more revealing.... Recognize it? This dress was worn by Jennifer Lopez to the Grammy's I think.

Now to the really good stuff! We went to the Assembly Hall, which is where Persuasion was filmed. For those of you who haven't seen it, here is summary. Ann Elliot is in love with Captain Wentworth and they both happen to be at the same concert. During the concert Ann is translating to her cousin because the music is in italian (I think). Captain Wentworth is sitting behind her and he decides to get up and leave because he is in Bath to get Ann back. She runs after him and tries to stop him from leaving without using so many words (because back then it wasn't proper) And she asks him if the concert is not worth staying for and he says "no, there is nothing worth me staying here for" :( Well, this is the location that this part is filmed in the newer version. Yes, I know I am a bit obsessed! What can I say, I am a hopelessly nerdy romantic!
Now it's off to the Royal Crescent! This is the place where Ann's father lived in Bath.
Ann (me) runs to find Captain Wentworth after he leaves her house.
Ann running through the Royal Crescent to find Captain Wentworth. (please disregard the cars in the background as there would have been none in the 1800's)
Now, I am excited because I have found the Captain and we are getting married! (Insert hot man on my right).  Preferably Rupert Penry Jones- Yes, you should google image him, well worth the trouble.

I hope you enjoyed my walk through Bath as Ann Elliot! I know I sure did. I love Bath, it is so old and classic. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and explore more!

2 comments:

Eileen said...

I love your commentary!!!! It is so beautiful there!!

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh where do I start.....first I have loved "vacationing vicariously" through you guys!! Second I am all alone with no hubby and in dire need of a good movie so please please do tell me what version of this movie I need to go get (I am lonely and would love to burn some evening hours while the kids sleep with a good film) sounds like this one comes "highly" recommended by Nicole! Can't wait to see you guys and chat about all your adventures.....but please email me about the movie...please!!!